logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lyonsperf  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2021 5:11:16 PM(UTC)
Lyonsperf

Groups: Registered, HelpDesk

While testing my client's shop I noticed that if you select paypal on checkout for payment it goes to paypal but when you return the cart is empty.
Is there a setting i'm missing?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

judy at Web2Market  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 6:52:30 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I haven't tried in AC9, but in Gold, your cart might be empty because the order was placed. Did you use Paypal Express or normal Paypal?
Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 7:54:24 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
This is by design albeit not the most elegant.

Because PayPal is an 'offsite' form of payment, Able must convert the basket to an order prior to sending the browser to PayPal's website. This guarantees the state of the order by the time PayPal notifies the Able site that the payment was processed successfully.

Technically the shopper does not have to complete the PayPal process right away. They can return later and apply the payment. So Able needs to have an (unchanged) order standing by to receive the payment at a later time or date.

And also technically, the shopper could leave PayPal open, start a new tab, return to the Able site and alter the basket contents. Then switch back to complete the PayPal payment in the first tab. If Able didn't create the order until the payment was received from PayPal, you could easily get orders with $ 5,000 of stuff on it but the PayPal payment was only $ 150.

Ideally the basket should be set aside internally within the store. The shopper could continue shopping with a fresh empty basket while the paypal payment is processed. Yet the original basket is preserved for when the paypal payment notification is transmitted to the Able store. Unfortunately this is not how it is designed in Able.
Lyonsperf  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 8:09:41 AM(UTC)
Lyonsperf

Groups: Registered, HelpDesk

Well thats an issue.
Didn't see that coming.
Joe Payne2  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2021 8:17:44 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Other 'onsite' payment gateways such as Authorize.Net do not have such a requirement as they can process the payment request in realtime with the payment gateway. This gives the Able store the ability to immediately know if the order should be created, or if the shopper should remain on the payment page to try again.

I'm curious what the exact issue is at that point in checkout flow?