logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 7:07:06 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Using version 9.0.4

On Friday, we exported multiple orders to ship station without a problem, and we were able to synchronize them back with the tracking number. Today we did only one order, but there was no synchronization back from ship station.

I believe today we went into the shipping of the Order in Ablecommerce Admin area and marked the order as fully shipped.

So, we are curious, if an order is marked as fully shipped when we export to ship station, it doesn't appear in the synchronize section?

Is this a correct observation?

Thank you

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:26:58 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi Ray,

I'm trying to understand the steps taken between exporting and synchronization. I haven't used Shipstation for sometime now, but I believe that you would export unshipped orders. Then create the shipment in Shipstation with a tracking number, and then synchronize back to AbleCommerce.

So my question is whether or not you marked the order shipped in Able (before doing the sync.) and if you created the shipment in Shipstation?

I think this integration is a little fussy with orders that have already been processed in Able.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:55:48 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

This is where a nice and thick manual would help. There is such little information regarding this, so we are learning this on the fly.

Export - Going out to ship station
Synchronize - From ship station to Ablecommerce

First of all, all order triggers with the exception of new order have been turned off. We prefer to process order status manually.

What we know so far.

We have an order status called "Ship-Full" which means this order is ready to ship out today with everything on the order, we have another one called "Ship-Partial" that is self-explanatory.

When it's time to export to ship station, it is effortless to round up all, the order where order status is set to "Ship-Full". First thing is we capture the money, probably most important as well. If you at this stage we could to go into the order and process the shipping in Ablecommerce, the synchronization for this order is no longer available. This is not a good idea for the following reason.

You may wish to process a big order in Ablecommerce, like we have today, that consist of 6 packages. This way, when you export to ship station, 6 different entries are created, for this order. This way you don't have to keep hitting the "Create new order" in ship station. The problem is, because you process the shipment inside Able, there is no way to synchronize back, remember you don't have tracking numbers in Able at this time, because Able sees the order as fully shipped. Which it is, it just lacks tracking numbers.

If you don't break up the big order into six different packages, and you do it at ship station, when you synchronize back, it only will bring back the first tracking number which is thrown on top of the one big package in Able.

The order today consisted of 40 2way radios. Each box had seven radios except for the last one that only have five. When we synchronize back, only one tracking number was returned.

So, there can be some enhancements regarding synchronizing back to Able. Synchronizing back to able should not solely depend on whether it is marked as fully shipped in Ablecommerce, but you may want to check for the existence of tracking numbers as well. This doesn't matter if you're shipping everything in one box or multiple boxes.

This is an area that can definitely benefit from some improvement, I hope I have not confused you and was able to explain what we have witnessed so far.

Thank you,
-Ray
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:10:17 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

It looks as if we are not able to support multiple shipments in a single order. If I remember, Shipstation looks at each shipment as a different order. But it's been a long time since I tested this integration, so if you can confirm that when you exported this 1 order, it did create 6 orders in Shipstation.

Please take a look at this page in the documentation - http://help.ablecommerce...ess_ShipStation_Data.htm

In the last section of the page, it reads:

Quote:
Multiple Shipments - AbleCommerce does support multiple shipments within ShipStation. If an order containing multiple shipments is generated through the store and exported to ShipStation, you will see duplicate order numbers within ShipStation, each containing separate shipments. To process one of the shipments, you can calculate the shipping, generate a shipping label, and re-sync the order with AbleCommerce. Only the shipment that was shipped will be changed. The remaining shipment in the order will remain in a pending status.

I also wonder if disabling the AbleCommerce shipping triggers may be an issue with Shipstation. This isn't common practice since we support Full and Partial shipments already, but I can see where some additional checks could improve the sync back.

Quote:
This is where a nice and thick manual would help

Once the merchant guide is complete, I can generate a printable PDF for download. I am currently training someone to take over some of my other duties so I can finish that long overdue project.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:23:30 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Thank you for your response. Yes, I read the documentation. The problem with order triggers is that we have database triggers set up as well. And having the system automatically change statuses, would activate those database triggers.

Here's an example, nowhere on your system is there an order completed date. This is essential to us for many reasons, one of the primary reasons is that we lock orders based on this date to prevent modifications in the event we are ever audited by either state or federal agencies.

When an order is saved with a complete status, it automatically triggers the database trigger to timestamp a completed date on the order. The database trigger, in question, also does a few other things which are important for us to properly process orders. So, we must manually control order statuses.

I guess we're just going to have to click create new order at ship station. Since ship station emails the customer with all tracking numbers, It is not necessary to have all tracking numbers populate the order.

The only suggestion that I will make today based on what I have experienced is synchronization back to Ablecommerce should not be based solely on whether the order in Ablecommerce has shipped or not. It should also check for a missing tracking number, this of course will only apply to a single package, which is okay.

I hope this helps,
-Ray