logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lyonsperf  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2021 3:42:41 PM(UTC)
Lyonsperf

Groups: Registered, HelpDesk

We have many products that share the same options.
After entering the option with its choices once, is it possible to have a dropdown menu to select it again to use on another product?

Currently I only see that I must retype the option in to the new product, which is a waste of time in my opinion.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

shaharyar  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 2:00:14 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi,

There is no option to reuse an already created option.
You will need to customize the code to achieve your requirements.
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 4:13:18 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
" Currently I only see that I must retype the option in to the new product, which is a waste of time in my opinion." YES IT IS !!!

This can definitely be an upgrade feature for another version.

However, you do have some options that I would like to share with you:

If you have a product that has similar options, you can clone from that product and your options will be there. If memory serves me correct, and I have done hundreds of times, we need a little better control than what Ablecommerce can provide, so here's what we did.

We created a hidden category in the backend, strictly for options. We went to the items they were part of that option, and we clone them. Furthermore, we call these options, special price, so if the original item had a SKU of NTN5656, the new item would be NTN5656-SP.

Obviously, you want to make sure that the new SKUs are hidden from customer view. All our options, point to the hidden SKUs.

The purpose is elementary, if I have 20 options that all point to the same new hidden SKU, NTN5656-SP, and I needed to adjust the price, all 20 options will now reflect the new price.

This is why I believe you wanted to have everything in one place, so if you had to adjust anything, that change would reflect across all options that point that SKU. This workaround also has a tremendous benefit, if a customer calls in and is very picky about price, my operators in the background can add one of the "SP" Sku which has a reduced price to make the customer happy.

I hope this helps you,
-Ray

Edited by user Wednesday, October 13, 2021 4:14:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ray22901031  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 4:29:25 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Originally Posted by: ray22901031 Go to Quoted Post
" Currently I only see that I must retype the option in to the new product, which is a waste of time in my opinion." YES IT IS !!!

This can definitely be an upgrade feature for another version.

However, you do have some options that I would like to share with you:

If you have a product that has similar options, you can clone from that product and your options will be there. If memory serves me correct, and I have done hundreds of times, we need a little better control than what Ablecommerce can provide, so here's what we did.

We created a hidden category in the backend, strictly for options. We went to the items they were part of that option, and we clone them. Furthermore, we call these options, special price, so if the original item had a SKU of NTN5656, the new item would be NTN5656-SP.

Obviously, you want to make sure that the new SKUs are hidden from customer view. All our options, point to the hidden SKUs.

The purpose is elementary, if I have 20 options that all point to the same new hidden SKU, NTN5656-SP, and I needed to adjust the price, all 20 options will now reflect the new price.

This is why I believe you wanted to have everything in one place, so if you had to adjust anything, that change would reflect across all options that point that SKU. This workaround also has a tremendous benefit, if a customer calls in and is very picky about price, my operators in the background can add one of the "SP" Sku which has a reduced price to make the customer happy.

I hope this helps you,
-Ray

UPDATE: Please note this all this was done using Kitting, not options which gives me less control.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 13, 2021 5:28:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lyonsperf  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 6:25:41 AM(UTC)
Lyonsperf

Thats not going to work in my situation as I am transfering a database of hundreds of parts with many attached options.
The previous software had a database category for "Attributes" that was available on all products on the admin panel to select and add as needed.
This keeps the database smaller by not having multiples of the same option.
I'm surprised that Able doesn't have this basic tool.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 13, 2021 6:26:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ray22901031  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 9:41:46 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Yes, I agree, this is an area that can definitely need a bit of improvement. We had this issue when we started about a year and 1/2 ago. I'm not sure how complicated your options are, we could have done what we did with options, but we decided to go with kitting instead, so the many products would reflect one item.

We were successful back that in importing options into the database, so this is something you may want to play with.

Good luck, I would love to hear your results.
judy at Web2Market  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:27:40 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I was able to create re-usable options on products in the past, but I'm not sure you could even do it now in code because the options allow inventory handling, like InStock.
judy at Web2Market  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:43:18 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
A few other things you might consider trying if you haven't.
When you click to add an option to a product, there is an input box titled Option Choices. You can enter a comma separated list of values there and AC will split it up into separate option choices.
You could also copy an existing product that has the options you want, then change the other product data.
You could also try the Data Transfer Variant import.
Lyonsperf  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:54:10 AM(UTC)
Lyonsperf

Thanks, i've opened a support ticket to get what I need coded up.
Hopefully they will share it in an update if it works.

I have all the php code from osc, but my able site is on a test server and I can't use ftp yet.

Otherwise I would try it myself.