logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeffr_ca  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 8:59:19 PM(UTC)
jeffr_ca

Groups: Authorized User, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm not sure if this is a bug or feature request.

When performing a site search on AC9.0.4, when using a keyword that is an exact match to one of the words in a Product Name, those matching products aren't necessarily sorted to the top of the results list.

For the Site Search to be most effective, it would be better to prioritize Product Name to be sorted ahead of matching the same keyword in Product Descriptions.

On our site, we often make references to another specific Product in our descriptions for instructions, compatibility, replacement part or other notes. However when we search for a specific product name, products that contain the exact keyword in the Product Name are more often pushed down the results list by products that have the same keyword in the description. We are hoping that if a customer searches for a specific product by its name, that should be the first item(s) to be shown in search results.

Is there any way that we could modify the search priority on AC 9.0.4 or could we hopefully see this better optimized in the next release?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

nadeem  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 8:19:16 AM(UTC)
nadeem

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User, Admin, System

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Quote:
Is there any way that we could modify the search priority on AC 9.0.4

You can try something like this:

Open Website/Controllers/ProductController.cs, locate the following line of code

Code:
var products = _productRepo.AdvancedSearch(keywords, categoryId, manufacturerId, true, true, true, 0, 0, false, shopByChoies, sortExpression, pageSize, index);

Inside the Search action method i.e.

Code:
public ActionResult Search(SearchResultsWidgetParams parameters, int categoryId = 0, int manufacturerId = 0, string keywords = "", string shopBy = "", int page = 1, int pageSize = 0, string sortExpression = "IsFeatured DESC, OrderBy ASC, Name ASC")

and replace with

Code:

var products = _productRepo.AdvancedSearch(keywords, categoryId, manufacturerId, true, true, true, 0, 0, false, shopByChoies, sortExpression, pageSize, index);

// Sort results by matching keyword in Product Name
if (Request.QueryString.Count == 1 && products.Any(p => p.Name.ToLowerInvariant().Contains(keywords.ToLowerInvariant())))
{
   products = products.OrderByDescending(p => p.Name.ToLowerInvariant().Contains(keywords.ToLowerInvariant())).ToList();
}

Compile the website and deploy the updated AbleCommerce.dll.

Hope this helps!

Edited by user Monday, August 30, 2021 8:25:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jeffr_ca  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 9:26:12 AM(UTC)
jeffr_ca

Thanks very much Nadeem,

We will test this in the coming weeks and advise.

Would there by any way to also incorporate searching against product variant Choice Name, SKU, Model#, GTIN while we are making the changes you've noted?

Thanks!

-Jeff
nadeem  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 8:37:14 AM(UTC)
nadeem

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User, Admin, System

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Jeff,

I am sorry but this isn't something that can easily be incorporated in the front end codes. This requires back-end search provider code changes and the product variant search isn't supported at this time. A issue report is already registered to incorporate product GTIN field. This might be added in future releases.
jeffr_ca  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 9:45:40 AM(UTC)
jeffr_ca

Thanks for confirming Nadeem,

I'm hoping that the search enhancements on variant details can be incorporated sooner than later. It's frustrating to be able to "see" a part number on your product page, but you can't get any results when searching for the identical keyword.

-Jeff
ray22901031  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 11:08:44 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
You will if you use advanced search and just click on product name.

-Ray
jeffr_ca  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 5:00:54 PM(UTC)
jeffr_ca

Hi Ray,

As far as I can see, the Advanced Search also does not show products where the keyword is part of the Variant "Choice Name" or "Model#" or "SKU" or "GTIN".

Search will only find those products where SKU, Model# or GTIN is shown in the Basic Product Information.

Any unique values for "Choice Name", "Model#, "SKU" or "GTIN" that are specified at the variant level are ignored by Search and Advanced Search.

If you go here for example and search for the keyword "SU690-XL", there are no results even though the Variant Model# for that item is showing on the page.

https://www.woodessence....roFlex-Supreno-SE-Gloves

To have Search find these products, we would have to redundantly repeat all the variant Choice Names, Model#, GTIN and SKUs into the Product Description somewhere or else copy them into the Product "Additional Search Keywords".

Here's another example of the how bulky this would become for every product.

https://www.woodessence....irka-Iridium-H-L-5-Discs

If you search for "24-5MH-240" there are no results. If you search for "240 Grit"...only results where I've already copied that keyword set into the products "Additional Search Keywords".

AC has acknowledged this and so I'm hoping we can eliminate the redundancy of all this information by expanding the Search scope in an upcoming release.

-Jeff
ray22901031  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 5:18:32 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi Jeff,

Yes you are correct, when it comes to anything else besides the name, this is the nearest search you can do in Ablecommerce at the moment, but it does work. In our case we need people to search for VHF radios as opposed to UHF radios, since we have this information in the name, it works perfectly for us.

I do understand what you're saying, sometimes what Ablecommerce returns is not being sorted by relevance or not begin return at all. But I do want you to understand that right now you have the ability, to export your products into a spreadsheet, and using the functionality of Excel, you can take your Model #, GTIN, and SKU, by simply creating a formula and inputting those value into the search keyword field and re-import.

You could also do this with a Variant, but that would required Microsoft Access, since you're going to need to link the product table to it's Variant, but it's not that difficult to do at all.

I think people underestimate the ability to export information, manipulated it in an external software with hundreds of functions, and imported back into Ablecommerce. Something that was extremely difficult for me to do in my Magneto days.

At the very least something gets returned, I was just thinking what would happen if you duplicate specific values in the keyword search fields, I wonder if that would make a difference when it comes to relevances? Haven't tried it.

Hope this helps,
-Ray