logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2021 12:55:29 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
This may have already been reported...

On initial load of the ship method page during checkout, the first shipping method choice is selected by default. However the order total summary above does not reflect that selection and the order total has not been updated.

The totals only update once a new selection is made for a ship method.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

shaharyar  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:29:02 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
We had a discussion on this and it was decided that it should remain this way. A user selection will update the shipping cost in the Order Total section.

In gold, there was a dropdown for the selection of shipping methods but in AC9 it is Radio button selection where be default we have to select one choice.
Jay  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 4:41:21 PM(UTC)
Jay

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That doesn't seem logical to me because it is inconsistent. If the real total including shipping isn't shown when the shipping page first loads, why show the real total including shipping if the user changes shipping method? Also, customers who don't choose a different shipping method are going to wonder why the total on the payment page has changed from what it was on the shipping page. Just my "two cents".
thanks 1 user thanked Jay for this useful post.
Joe Payne2 on 8/20/2021(UTC)
Joe Payne2  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 5:14:13 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Exactly why I pointed it out. That's a really bad point in the shopping experience for the software to be inconsistent with the total purchase cost. Shoppers don't understand apps and software like we do. This will matter to them.
shaharyar  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 5:33:55 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Thanks for your valuable feedback.

I'll open a discussion on this issue to review the feature once again.
thanks 1 user thanked shaharyar for this useful post.
Joe Payne2 on 8/20/2021(UTC)
Joe Payne2  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 5:51:26 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Awesome to hear.

While you're at it, try and get a change scheduled to make the ship method list sort by lowest shipping cost first. Or better yet, make it a parameter on the widget.

I've literally made that customization 20+ times over the years. The first choice is always selected by default. Nobody wants $ 248 Next-Day Air to be the default selected shipping method in their checkout experience.

The fewer clicks required to move through checkout, the better the checkout experience.
Jay  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 8:31:38 AM(UTC)
Jay

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You can change the order of the shipping methods on the Configure > Shipping > Methods page. It won't be dynamic based on each order's cost, but you should be able to put them in an order that will generally be from cheapest to most expensive.
Joe Payne2  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 8:39:45 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

I know, it’s just so much easier to code it and have it automatic so you can forget about it

I like automatic
ray22901031  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 5:35:49 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi shaharyar,

I deleted my initial post, while I reviewed exactly the way Amazon does it. The initial problem starts when Ablecommerce does not even show a shipping line item to begin with. The problem increases, because there is a default shipping method that has been selected and no shipping line item is visible. The default shipping method could have a value of zero or higher. If the value is greater than zero, this is not taken into account for the order total.

Yes while the order total is correct at this point, it's because the shipping line item is hidden, and you are expecting the user to click something. If the user click something else besides the default, and that option is greater than zero, then the order total will change, but if the user does not click anything besides the default, and that default has a value greater than zero, the order total will change on the next page.

I would mimic 100% the way this is being done by Amazon.

On the initial page load, the following factors should be true.

#1. The shipping line item must be displayed, not hidden
#2. The default shipping method, regardless of value, should be shown on the shipping line item on the top
#3. The order total should reflect whatever the default shipping method is on the bottom right.

The ordering of shipping defaults should be controlled by the shop owner, never an automatic system. I would keep the check list as opposed to a drop down list for obvious reasons.

For the time being I will modify the text and make it stand out to let the user know, that he must pick a shipping method or it will default to the one select for the new order total.