logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 2:52:43 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'm finding the relationship between inner templates and the front end CMS very confusing.

If I create an inner template, assign it to a content page and preview the page it looks fine. Exactly how I laid it out in the inner template.

And if I switch on CMS while previewing that content page and modify the page by adding/removing widgets, the page is changed like I would expect. But, the original inner template is NOT updated.

Now I have a content page where the inner template in the admin is set up completely different from how the content page itself renders because it was changed via the CMS.

Question 1:
Why aren't CMS changes reflected back down to the original inner template? Wouldn't you always want that?

Question 2:
When working on an inner template in the admin, the user has no indication the changes they are making will never be rendered. If an inner template is assigned to a page that makes the 'Customized Pages' list, there should be a really obvious indicator that this inner template will not be processed/rendered.

Question 3:
If I try the reset on the 'Customized Pages' page in the admin, the popup warning is vague. Am I going to lose the entire inner template setup? Or only the CMS-side changes that were made to the content page and now the original inner template will render as it was designed?

Edited by user Monday, August 2, 2021 2:53:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

shaharyar  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 4:23:12 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Question 1 & 2:
Setting up an inner template in the admin can be used by multiple pages. Changes done in the admin side inner template will reflect on all pages using that inner template provided that the page is not customized using the front-end CMS editor.

Front-end CMS editor changes will always be page-specific. This feature enables a user to customize a page that needs to use the layout/widgets set in an inner template but also a minor page-specific change is needed, this feature saves a user from creating a separate new inner template for that minor change.

Question 3:
The reset function on customized pages will reset the changes done from the front-end CMS editor. Changes done from the admin side will remain there. The reset option is only for front-end customizations.
thanks 1 user thanked shaharyar for this useful post.
Joe Payne2 on 8/3/2021(UTC)
Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 8:34:41 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Your answers were excellent, thank you.

I think the fact that the original inner template remains assigned to the page leads to my confusion. It does not serve any purpose to have an inner template assigned to a page once that page is customized in the CMS.

Does changing the assigned inner template on a content page clear the CMS customizations? Or is the only way to clear it is from the Customized Pages page?

On the CMS side, I don't remember seeing anything that indicates 'This page is customized, inner/outer template changes will not be processed' or 'Reset this page to assigned inner/outer templates'. Maybe I missed those?
Joe Payne2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 9:04:28 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

The same rule does not seem to apply to html snippets.

If I add an HMTL snippet in the admin, then drag-add that snippet to a page via CMS, the html content is still changeable via the admin html snippet definition. And it will update on every content page that references that html snippet.
shaharyar  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 11:09:37 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Quote:
Does changing the assigned inner template on a content page clear the CMS customizations? Or is the only way to clear it is from the Customized Pages page?

On the CMS side, I don't remember seeing anything that indicates 'This page is customized, inner/outer template changes will not be processed' or 'Reset this page to assigned inner/outer templates'. Maybe I missed those?

If the page is customized, the CMS will not allow changing inner/outer layout from the front-end editor. There is a message. Please see screenshot

Untitled.png (18kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
shaharyar  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 11:13:25 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Quote:
If I add an HMTL snippet in the admin, then drag-add that snippet to a page via CMS, the html content is still changeable via the admin html snippet definition. And it will update on every content page that references that html snippet.

If you are referring to changing the HTML snippet content.
Yes, changing the HTML snippet content will update the content of the snippet anywhere it is used because the value stored in the database is changed. Similarly, if you change the content of a widget from code it will update anywhere it is being used.