logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 12:53:45 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Using the latest version of Ablecommerce and the latest built, No custom coding at this time, There seems to be a problem with the export functionality when it comes to specific SKU numbers.

Here is an example:

The system will take the following SKU "0180300E83" and exported as a scientific notation, in other words "1.803E+88". Needless to say, this creates some issues for us.

You should be able to reproduce this with no problem whatsoever, please reply with your findings.

-Ray

VERSION: 9.0.2.6218
Release Label: 9.0.2

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

ray22901031  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 2:29:05 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Okay, obviously this is an Excel problem, no way to turn off text to scientific notation in the options, so this is the only solution that I have found that actually works, but I'm open to any others.

Take the csv file exported by Ablecommerce, open the file in Notepad, save the file as a ".txt" file, import the file into Excel.

Don't you think Microsoft should fix this by now - bummer.

-Ray

Edited by user Monday, August 24, 2020 2:52:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 7:58:42 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
You don't have to open the file. Just rename it in Explorer to .txt.

Excel uses the extension to decide how it will import the file. The most accurate route is to make sure the file extension is .txt, then open Excel, then use File/Open within Excel and choose "Text Files" as the file type to open. This forces Excel to use the full import wizard and you can control the data type for each column of data imported.
ray22901031  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 10:18:37 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Hey Joe,

Yes I understand what you mean, upon further investigation it was made very clear, do not open a csv file under Excel directly for risk of Excel manipulating the data.

What you might find interesting is that I also downloaded some open source spreadsheet programs, and they pretty much all do the same thing. Obviously because many of my SKUs have an "E" in the text, it confuses Excel.

It would be great if Ablecommerce would accept just ".txt" files and not just the csv format, since the csv format can vary.

The only other way that it seems to work would require a version of Excel 2018 on a Mac. But your suggestion is just fine, bottom line, don't manipulate a csv file directly with Excel.

Hope all is well,
-Ray