logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 9:52:09 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
What is the easiest way to hide a product from product finder, without having a user intervened by clicking filters on the left?

As a future feature request, it would be nice if at the product level to have a checkbox that says, hide from product finder. Motorola is constantly discontinuing products, and I move all discontinued products to a specific category, but I would like these products not to appear in product finder.

We are considering adding a custom field to the ac_products database call "cf_ProductFinderView", if this field is set to 0, them do not display this item in product finder.

I am open to all feedbacks.

Many Thanks,
-Ray

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

mazhar  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 5:12:18 PM(UTC)
mazhar

Groups: Admin, Administrators, HelpDesk, System, Authorized User, Developers, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
What about setting product visibility to hidden or private? Hidden products can be accessed directly while private ones can't be accessed at all by users except admins. Products marked as hidden or private don't appear in any of public listings.
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 10:28:19 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

That will not work for us, because once we move it to a new category called "discontinued items", we need the customer to see them. It is also very important to note that there is a SEO issue at play here.

Example: The CP200 is a Motorola two-way radio that has been discontinued for over six years. But people still search for, so if I was getting excellent ranking from Google for this particular radio, we don't want to hide this radio from Google. We want customers to find it, so we can advise them that there's a new model and provide a link to the newer product.

Again I do believe that the best option is to have a checkbox in a future update that just says, hide from product finder, if not, we will need to add a custom field to the products database table and manipulate the default SQL, so when product finder loads, it will not display these items.

Where can I go to manipulate the default SQL for product finder?

Many thanks,
-Ray
mazhar  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 1:34:55 PM(UTC)
mazhar

Groups: Admin, Administrators, HelpDesk, System, Authorized User, Developers, Registered

The Visibility hidden doesn't hide product from any direct access. This means any old URL will be able to access it. For the category that can list these products, you can write some custom category listing to listing the hidden items. This will void the product from product finder and it will be still visible through custom category page.

Quote:
Where can I go to manipulate the default SQL for product finder?

That code is in back end CommerceBuilder library souce which requires source code purchase. One can also try to hook into repositories and override product repository and its search methods.
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 1:53:48 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Mazhar,

I am aware how hidden visibility works and I stated before, it is not a valid option for us. The better solution would be in a future release to have the ability to hide the product by clicking a checkbox at the product level.

That being said, I do have the source code, is there a specific area in the source code that controls any SQL statements where one can interject or modify a where condition?

Thank you.
mazhar  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 2:11:51 PM(UTC)
mazhar

Quote:

That being said, I do have the source code, is there a specific area in the source code that controls any SQL statements where one can interject or modify a where condition?

You will need updates in search providers. Look under the CommerceBuilder.Search.Providers namespace, there are two providers SqlSearchProvider and SqlFtsSearchProvider. You would want to update the AdvanceSearch* methods in these providers for your change.