logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2024 1:49:41 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
This is a combination of a feature request and a bug request. Once we determine that it's a bug, we can move it over to the bugs category.

This problem exists because a multi-category grid cannot sort properly. However, a category grid can sort properly, but a category grid has a problem with the product finder.

The video labeled 02 shows the product finder working correctly with a multi-category grid. After the filter has been placed, it shows only three radios. Unfortunately, it does not have the sorting structure that I need.

The video labeled 01 shows the product finder incorrectly working with a category grid. Even though the filter has been placed, it shows all radios. However, I need sorting.

#1. First problem: The category grid does not work properly with the product finder. I tried it on both the applet with the category ID set to 0 and the category ID set to 12.

#2. The main problem arises because there is no easy way to sort a multi-category grid. I will investigate this further with my developer to see if we can adjust an "order by" on a multi-category grid. If this is the case, we will assign each product an integer which will determine the sorting order.

Please verify the existence of this bug, as your expertise is crucial in this process. Additionally, could you confirm if I can alter the "order by" in a multi-category grid? This is a significant issue that needs your attention. Lastly, I would appreciate your input on whether this is a suggestion worthy of a future upgrade.

I want to acknowledge that this issue has been persisting for quite some time, and I appreciate your patience in finally addressing it. Your understanding and support are invaluable.

Many Thanks
-Ray Videos.zip (9,207kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 10:38:36 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi Ray,

Before I do some investigation and give you a full response, can I confirm that the sorting you are speaking of is referring to the sort function we see on the admin side?

I'm asking because it's not possible display the same sort shown in admin for products coming from multiple levels deep in the category structure.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 10:46:31 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

The same sorting that works on a category grid. Doesn’t the multi category grid use some type of order by when it displays its data? Regardless of the sorting, product finder does not work properly with a category grid. When a person sees items on a grid they have the option to resort the items either by high to low, low to high,, Z to a, default. Would be nice at the category level if I could tell the shopping card what sort order to display besides default. On a multi category grid, if there is an order by, then there is a way for user sorting to work.

Thanks
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 4:31:09 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Originally, the Product Finder widget was only compatible with the Search Results widget. You can read the description on that widget in the admin side to confirm.

Then in AC 9.0.9, we added the ability to use the Product Finder with Category pages, but even then, it was intended for the multi-level (deep) category widget. If you have a single category with many items, I can see how that can, and should, be able to work with the non multi level category page. I'll request it, but no guarantees just yet. We have 9.0.11 filling up fast and we need to stay on schedule. I'm hoping it's an easy change that we can implement for the next version.

The sorting on a std category page, not the multi-level (deep) version is looking at the default ADMIN sorting that you control in the catalog. This kind of sorting only works when we are displaying a single category. Otherwise, it's not possible to sort multiple combined categories using the ADMINS sorting feature.

Quote:
Doesn’t the multi category grid use some type of order by when it displays its data?

There should be some methodology when the "Default" sort is selected, though I honestly don't know what or how that's being determined. Hopefully, someone from the dev team can pitch in here and let us know :)
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Katie S  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 4:42:13 PM(UTC)
Katie S

For reference, new issue opened #2270
Thanks for your support!

Katie
ray22901031  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 5:35:55 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

A multi-category grid can indeed be subject to sorting. You can prove this to yourself by viewing multiple products on the grid, using any standard template, and on the right-hand side, you have the ability to sort 7 different ways.

Ranging from high priced to low price, low to high price, ascending by name, descending by name, and featured.

This is just standard stuff that's common in all shopping carts. If a multi-category grid could not be sorted, you would not offer the option to do so on the top right header of the grid.

The issue here is not whether or not it can be subject to sorting but the default sorting that doesn't conform to the back end of the admin dashboard.

This really is not a hard problem to figure out, and the solution that I offered by adding an integer to sort every single product is Valid.

I will explore this option with my developer in a given month since we're working on improving the search results from the standard one provided.

Many Thanks
ray22901031  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 6:15:03 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Hi Katie,

First, I wasn't aware that Product Finder never worked with category pages. I'm very happy I upgraded to 9.0.9. We'll be upgrading to 9.0.10 in a few months.

Interestingly, it was through a conversation with an SEO-savvy friend that I realized the potential of the Product Finder. They pointed out that a competitor with numerous links all originating from a single page was likely the reason they were outperforming us. Intrigued, I decided to experiment by adding the Product Finder to a specific category template.

Please take a moment to review the picture provided with this email. The simple addition of the Product Finder to my page led to a staggering increase of over 100% in Google ranking. This significant boost, achieved without any other changes, has captured my interest in Product Finder and motivated me to offer these suggestions for further improvements.

Improvements like collapsible bands (Accordion style) - You can get overwhelmed adding options to Product Finder which will make it extremely long on the left hand side. This requires the user to scroll up and down, not very friendly. When creating options which you would like to include in Product Finder, An option to have this particular set of options show in a collapse mode, will go a long way. This way, the consumer can click on the drop-down arrow to expose the Options for that particular choice.

You already have this today, but it's an all-or-nothing choice. You can collapse the entire product finder applet or not. I'm discussing being able to open and close various options within the entire Product Finder app.

I hope I am not overwhelming you with so many emails.

Ranking.jpg (195kb) downloaded 1 time(s). improvements.

Edited by user Monday, June 3, 2024 6:16:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified