logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2023 11:04:32 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
When Avalara calculates a basket, it pulls in the user.PrimaryAddress.Email as the Avalara Customer Code. Just like it should.

When Avalara commits an existing order, it uses the order.BillToEmail as the Avalara Customer Code. Just like it should.

However, when you recalculate an existing order via public override Recalculate(Order order), the routine doesn't use the order bill-to email as the customer code. It pulls in the user.PrimaryAddress.Email.

This becomes a problem if the order bill-to is changed after the order is placed, but before taxes are committed. Changing the bill-to email on the order does not update the user.PrimaryAddress.Email field. And worse, there is no way to see or edit that user.PrimaryAddress.Email field on the customer profile Addresses tab. It's not part of the page view.

So in situations where order bill-to is changed after the order is placed, taxes will now calculate based on the original user.PrimaryAddress.Email regardless of what you have set on the order bill-to email. If the PrimaryAddress.Email is taxable but the order bill-to is not taxable, you can never get taxes to come off no matter what you change on the order. Because the customer code being sent to avalara is never the order bill-to email value.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2023 3:26:34 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi Joe,

I'm having some trouble trying to reproduce the issue. I will go through the steps that I'm taking, but first, I wanted to address a few things you mentioned.

Quote:
This becomes a problem if the order bill-to is changed after the order is placed, but before taxes are committed. Changing the bill-to email on the order does not update the user.PrimaryAddress.Email field.

Changing the order email will not update the user account email. This is by design.

Quote:
And worse, there is no way to see or edit that user.PrimaryAddress.Email field on the customer profile Addresses tab. It's not part of the page view.

The email for the user account can be changed from the first tab "Account" in admin.

Here are the steps I'm taking to reproduce. For AvaTax, I am using the setting "Commit Tax when order is paid" and my order is in an authorized state.

1. Placed an order where Billing and Shipping address are both in Washington state.

2. Changed order email and billing address to Florida. (Recalculate, no change in tax as expected)

3. Changed the shipping address to Florida. (Recalculate, the tax was changed to FL as expected)

4. Apply payment to the order so the tax will be committed to Avalara.

5. So now I login to AvaTax and view the transaction.
- The order's updated email address is correct (matches order billing email)
- The shipping address and taxes for Florida are correct as well.
- New tax on the adjusted order is 3.21
- Orig tax on the order was 3.57

I must be missing something. If you can help me figure it out where I've gone wrong, I would appreciate it. Thanks Joe!

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2023 8:17:40 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

OK, let's try a less-complex explanation.

Place an order with an email you know is taxable. You should get sales tax on the order.

Now change the order's bill-to email on that order to an email you know is tax exempt in Avalara.

Now recalculate the order.

Sales tax will still be on the order. Taxes should have come off because you changed the email on the order, right?

But the Avalara Calculate() routine is still using user.PrimaryAddress.Email as the customer code. So in reality, you as the admin cannot change the Customer Code being sent to Avalara once the order is generated. No matter what order.BillToEmail says, Avalara only knows the customer as the value of user.PrimaryAddress.Email.

If the customer changes their own email, or the admin changes the user's email address...the user.PrimaryAddress.Email is now changed. Great except.......

At that point, if a Calculate() is ever fired on that user's order you have the problem: You could now see taxes on an order that was not taxable before and the order suddenly has a mystery balance. Or, taxes disappear and the order now has a mystery credit.

Katie S  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2023 2:17:15 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Got it. Thanks for explaining in terms I can understand. :)

For Avalara to use an email address for the customer ID doesn't seem like the smartest idea. Emails change.

Anyway, I'll get it reported.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
thanks 1 user thanked Katie S for this useful post.
Joe Payne2 on 4/11/2023(UTC)
Joe Payne2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2023 6:12:09 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Technically, it's the Avalara gateway programming that decides the Customer Code value. Avalara can use anything in that field. The UserId value would have been more accurate from a design standpoint.

But, then you couldn't search in the Avalara Dashboard for a customer unless you knew the user ID. Searching by email is vastly easier for store admins. So in the end using email is the better route.

Sorry for the initially poor explanation.