logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnySupport  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2022 1:05:01 PM(UTC)
AnySupport

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Article/Notice : Universal Analytics will be going away Shown at the top of current Analytics pages as the "Learn More" button.
Quote:
Last updated: March 16, 2022. Visit this page in the coming months for the latest information.
Google Analytics 4 is our next-generation measurement solution, and it's replacing Universal Analytics. On July 1, 2023, standard Universal Analytics properties will stop processing new hits. If you still rely on Universal Analytics, we recommend that you prepare to use Google Analytics 4 going forward. ...

Grain of salt as Google will always change their timelines as they please, but as of this minute...
Universal Analytics (universal.js) is going to be shut off July of 2023. The replacement is "Google Analytics 4" (aka "GA4" which uses gtag.js).

It seems to be a more involved migration than it was to swap tracking code when migrating to universal.js from whatever it was before then. Because of how Google is using different factors (I don't know honestly how to describe it clearly yet, sorry) than what it does now, reports are going to be completely new. And because of all that, the current "strong" advice is to build GA4 properties and events and streams now to be able to track the old and new reports side-by-side before Universal Analytics is shut off.

Our site is still on Gold (I know I know, we're trying to plan it out, don't focus on this please!), but from what I've seen of AC9, the latest version is still written for using Analytics.js and not using gtag.js yet (which I think has already been available for a while, but I'm not familiar with it...).
  1. Does AbleC have anyone looking into this Google Analytics migration/upgrade yet?
    • If not, is someone at least aware of it and would be looking into it any time soon?
    • If so, is there any notion of if/when code guidance might be available for current systems (including Gold or not)?

2. Has anyone else attempted to set up the side-by-side running of gtag.js & GA4 in tandem to universal.js & UA tracking?
    • What was your experience? (or "is" your experience so far?)
    • Have you hit any hurdles/pitfalls when applying the changes to an AC system? (Either for the side-by-side processing or for a full migration?)
I'm still working on understanding all of this, and I'm hoping it's less complicated than it appears, but I don't know. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask here as well.
Thank you very much!

Additional Resources on Google Support

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

ray22901031  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2022 7:40:15 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If I'm not mistaken, I think version 9.0.6 uses the new analytical component. We are still on version 9.0.5, but even since version 9.0.2, you could use the new component by putting the code in an HTML snippet. And then applying the snippet, I believe we applied it to the footer area.

The problem is, a lot of the analytical software like SEO MOZ, SEMrush, and many others are not equipped to use the newer version. But that's okay, you can actually run both on your site at the same time. I'm pretty sure by next year, all the SEO reporting software will be running the newer component.

I hope this helps.

-Ray

Edited by user Thursday, May 5, 2022 11:16:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified