logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sweeperqb  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2022 10:43:54 AM(UTC)
sweeperqb

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I stepped away from my desk for a few minutes and came back to continue working on AC9. When I navigated to the next page on the store, it logged me out and my cart disappeared. Since I am an Admin, I fully expect to automatically be logged out after a certain period of time, but I did not expect my cart to disappear. It made me wonder... If a customer is logged in and steps away, do they lose their cart as well?

If so, is there any way to increase the authenticated customer's cart duration while maintaining PCI compliance?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 1:29:27 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi,

So I did some testing and found that the cart items stick for more than 24 hours if you are an anonymous user. There is a setting in AbleCommerce for anonymous user maintenance on the Configure > Store > Maintenance page, so I believe this determines how long the information is kept.

Now, if you are a registered user shopping while logged in and then the session times out, the cart items are saved and will be shown when the user logs back in.

If you are a registered user with existing items in the cart, logout, add items to the cart, and then log back in - the cart is combined with items from both shopping sessions. A message is shown so the user knows what happened:

Quote:
You had items in your cart from a previous visit. They have been combined with your current items. Please review the contents below before placing an order.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 1:35:36 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi Katie,

I think he's referring to being logged in as an administrator in the backend, and the system will log you out due to being inactive.

I forgot where that particular setting was, that's why I did not reply.

-Ray
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 1:51:53 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Thanks for pointing this out, Ray.

The timeout can be changed in web.config but PCI does require 20 minutes.

Here is the line if you want to change it:

Quote:
<sessionState mode="InProc" cookieName="AC9.SESSIONID" timeout="150"/>
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 1:58:35 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I figured it would be located in the web config file, but wasn't aware of the precise location because 20 minutes for us is just fine, but I will remember it for future reference.

Thanks
sweeperqb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2022 2:43:22 PM(UTC)
sweeperqb

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you for responding and confirming my suspicions. Came across the web.config settings shortly after I posted.

I was thinking about carts for other etailers, and in most situations I don't think my cart contents disappear when my authenticated session ends.

For instance, on Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc... I add stuff to my cart, login to checkout, then get distracted and don't complete the purchase. A couple days later, I go back and it still has my cart and shows my name, but if I try to access profile info or checkout it makes me enter my password again.

I'm pretty sure changing this behavior would be a pretty massive undertaking.