logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 9:05:06 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
The store setting for enable/disable WYSIWYG is missing from the store general settings page

I couldn't find it on any other settings pages.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

shaharyar  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 11:42:58 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
We had intentionally hide the setting from the UI. The reason was that the current editor allows a user to edit the HTML by hand from the code view tab.

You can still easily enable the setting by just uncomment the code present in the following path.
\Website\Areas\Admin\Views\Store\Index.cshtml

Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2022 1:21:38 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

That doesn't make sense to me.

The only reason someone wants to turn off the html editors is because they do not want any html in their descriptions. Your explanation requires the user to manually edit the html in order to prevent that from happening.
Every single time. Because by default, even a 1-character product description on a brand new product still gets paragraph html tags.

Not to mention the fact everywhere else in the system is already written to handle the store setting, including the UIHint. So leaving out the setting itself just seems really, really weird to me.
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 2:05:28 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi Joe,

I think we didn't consider someone wanting to add descriptions without any html. It would really limit what you could do, but maybe that's something desired by some customers.

Way back in time, we had customers entering html by hand, and too often than not, pages would break (browsers were less forgiving back then).

Quote:
The only reason someone wants to turn off the html editors is because they do not want any html in their descriptions.

This is a valid reason, but I don't think that the feature was originally added for this purpose, but rather for those who prefer to enter html without the WYSIWYG interface. The older WYSIWYG apps could end up putting in a bunch of unwanted code. But a lot has changed since then..

So, what I'm asking of the dev team is that we first find out if ALL of the fields can still be used without any html.

If this won't create any new problems, then it might be fairly simple to add the feature back in.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
Joe Payne2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 2:19:28 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

In my opinion it boils down to proper site design. If the intent is to have the entire site design managed and controlled through CSS style sheets, which I think we all agree it should be, the product descriptions should never have any HTML. Because that HTML is going to override everything else in the CSS. At least in AC9 you went to an awful lot of trouble to make CSS the primary means for controlling site look and feel. Unless it's a product description......

More importantly, there are numerous cloud services out there that want catalog data. Google product feeds, Nextopia, Klevu, SearchSpring, SharpSpring etc. They all want product description, and those descriptions need to be clean and free of html.

My understanding was that the ability to disable the html editor was intended to force keeping html out of descriptions. At least I didn't see any other meaningful purpose for having the toggle otherwise.

Once you start loading up your product descriptions with fancy graphics and elaborate fonts/styling, you immediately deviate from all of the prescribed styling and layout dictated by the CSS. Because the inline HTML editor doesn't read your store CSS style sheet, or the custom style sheet. Now descriptions look different from all other text in the site. If the goal is a clean, consistent look-and-feel to the overall site design...the html editor just blew that idea clean out of the water the moment you start using it.

In the 7.x days, product Summary was the html-free field and Description was the html-friendly field. But AC9 has the html editor on both now. There's no place to put a clean version of the product description on the product itself. So when we want to build feed files for cloud services that can't or won't handle html in the content, we've got a massive problem.
Katie S  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 3:01:28 PM(UTC)
Katie S

I see your point. I was actually thinking more along the lines of adding minimalistic html like <p>, breaks, lists, etc. rather than html style attributes which of course should be handled by CSS. Otherwise, how would you break up large pieces of text without some basic html?
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Joe Payne2  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 3:24:36 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

I agree. In a perfect world, the html editor would only permit 'basic' html elements like bullets, line breaks, numbered lists and nothing more.

I guess in a very perfect world, the html editor would base it's choices and WYSIWYG rendering from the actual site theme, and not from it's own hard-coded choices. And then the choices you make are done with css classes, not inline styled. It's that inline html styling that blows so much up.

In the old days, I don't think it mattered as much how much you loaded up the description with html. Now it causes far more hassle than it's worth if you ever want to hook into cloud ecommerce services like search providers.
Katie S  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2022 6:22:26 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Quote:
There's no place to put a clean version of the product description on the product itself. So when we want to build feed files for cloud services that can't or won't handle html in the content, we've got a massive problem.

Under Search Engine Optimization, we have a field for Meta Description. It only allows 300 char. of text though. Do you think that would be better suited for this purpose?

If html tags are the cause of the problem, then we may be better off adding a new feature that could be used instead of disabling the WYSIWYG editor because this would force merchants to use HTML if they wanted to format the description for the page. So, using a description where the main purpose is to populate a search feed may be better anyway.

I'm not trying to argue your point. I just wonder if there is a better way to handle this requirement.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Joe Payne2  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 9:02:04 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

On the surface meta description looks like a good candidate. But the meta description for a product can (and should) be very different from the actual product description. And as you mentioned, it's quite limited in size.

I don't think we need to make a major change. I feel like you're over-thinking this way too much. All I originally pointed out was one missing store setting on one settings page. So far as I can tell, that setting is still checked everywhere in the store where it needs to be checked. It is confusing (as a programmer) to find accommodations in the code for a store setting that isn't even there any more. Upgraded stores may not expect the setting to be gone. And you've essentially removed a feature from the software for what seems to be a pretty poor reason "Because the user can edit it manually and remove the html themselves".
Katie S  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 11:04:54 AM(UTC)
Katie S

I was just seeing if there were a better approach. Re-enabling the setting is easy enough.

Yes, I tend to overthink things....Thanks Joe.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 2, 2022 11:07:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Thanks for your support!

Katie