logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2022 11:47:28 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
As my content pages tend to increase, I will come across an older page and ask myself, why did I create this page in the first place?

It would be nice if there was an area where I could enter personal notes, many of my content pages are actually landing pages which were created to mimic certain URLs from the old system. Having an indication as to the purpose of the content page would be extremely helpful. Furthermore, when it comes to SEO, being able to make notes to yourself regarding that particular page and the changes made are quite beneficial.

You can take this concept and also apply it to categories, and even products themselves. From the product's perspective, I would keep track of all my price changes throughout the years in the notes section.

Regarding the need for categories to have personal notes, I also have created categories to mimic my old system URL web structure. It would be nice to document this as well.

Keep in mind that notes from a database perspective do not take up much space, this might have been a problem in the past were empty entries would tend to increase the database size.

Just an idea.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2022 2:50:00 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Great idea! I would even suggest that we include system notes to automatically track changes made by the admin user. It would be good to have a log showing when something was edited and by whom.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
judy at Web2Market  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2022 5:59:12 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Katie, definitely log who last changed a product. It would be good to display that and the last modified date on the edit product page.
ray22901031  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2022 8:17:31 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I am delighted that you think this is a great idea and can definitely add value to your product.

Kindly note that I'm referring to manual notes, not automatic notes, although I can see the benefit of automatic notes. But automatic notes can create problems by increase the size of the database.

If you're thinking of also including automatic notes, I would recommend this as an option that a user can enable or disable. To Judy's point, I'm the only one that modifies my products since I have restricted access to certain levels of the admin section, so having an automatic logging feature every time I make a change is not necessary for someone like me.

Again, in summary, if you're also going the automatic route, just make sure that this is an option that the admin can either enable or disable for auto logging.

Many thanks,
-Ray
Katie S  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2022 11:38:21 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Understood about automatic and manual notes. I'll put in a feature request today, but it won't make it into the next release because those changes have already been decided.

Thanks to you both!
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting