logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Compunerdy  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2024 8:43:43 PM(UTC)
Compunerdy

Groups: Authorized User

Using USPS ground advantage a lot lately and notice if you go over a certain length the price goes way up. So I saw that you can set length for items in the store so I set a tube for example to 40"x1"x1" and great, it charges much more for the shipping as it should. BUT, if you add another item to the order for instance a item 1"x1"x1" it reverts to the cheaper price. Am I missing something?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2024 11:01:22 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi,

For oversized items, they require a special shipping condition. When you have that item in a basket by itself, we can send the dimensions to the shipping carrier. However, when the oversized item is combined in the basket with other smaller items, it is no longer is possible to send the dimensions unless you make a change in AbleCommerce to do that.

To see the dimensional weight, click the link "Billable Weight" next to the Weight field in admin product editing page.

Depending on the size of the item, there can be a huge discrepancy in shipping costs calculated on the order.

There are two possible solutions.

1) Change the "weight" of the product to be the dimensional (Billable) weight, or

2) Change the Special Condition setting for these oversized items to be either "Calculate Costs Separately" or "Item Ships Separately".
The second option, Item Ships Separately, would actually create a separate shipment for the order.
The first option, Calculate Costs Separately, just gives you more accurate shipping rates.

The preferrable option is to change the setting as the dimensional weight can vary depending on the carrier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
Compunerdy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2024 1:10:42 PM(UTC)
Compunerdy

With just the long item it works without selecting a special shipping condition.

Changing the weight does not help as I already have it in at a higher weight than what the billable weight is.

Changing the special condition to "Calculate Costs Separately" put the rate too high especially for UPS.

USPS Ground advantage changes drastically based on length more than weight from what I have seen.

msedge_9wyyln2uL1.png (10kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

So based on this we need a simple "If length of any item over 30 inches then add $8.40 to rate" which is exactly what it does when the item is by itself.

This may not be perfect but better than what it currently does.
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2024 5:13:06 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Quote:
Changing the special condition to "Calculate Costs Separately" put the rate too high

This should result in the same rate as the item being in the cart by itself, except that the amount is added to the shipping rate which is calculated for the entire shipment.

There is another setting for the product where you can add an additional handling fee. That's probably going to be your best option.

2024-06-24_15-10-34.png (11kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Compunerdy  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2024 5:21:49 PM(UTC)
Compunerdy

That would work if I wanted to charge a extra $8.40 to UPS, etc as well which I do not.

We coded a work around but I would still suggest you take another look at this at some point.
Katie S  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2024 5:36:51 PM(UTC)
Katie S

You can also look at Ship Groups. That would give you some ability to charge extra handling fees per different shipping carriers.

Thanks for your support!

Katie