logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david9688526  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2022 3:53:50 PM(UTC)
david9688526

Groups: Developers

Our client sells specialty electronics and for these, the lead time is often around 4 weeks. They don't want to charge the client until the product ships and PayPal's Authorize option only allows for 2 weeks. They also, frequently have to make changes to the charges for orders. So, they don't want to authorize or capture at the time of order, but want to be able to bill the client through PayPal when they ship. This doesn't seem possible (or, if I'm being honest, reasonable) to me but I told them I'd look into it.

Anyone done something like this? We already do this for normal Credit Card orders where we just store the CC info until the order ships, but it seems like PayPal would not allow this... Any suggestions?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

ray22901031  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2022 2:11:05 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Unfortunately it's either one or the other, and your best bet is to do an authorized only, and after it expires just try to capture the money, and they should do what's known as a charge (An authorization and capture at the same time). The main issue that you have to tell your client is the following, You won't know if PayPal authorizes the transaction unless you try to authorize the transaction.

So let's say you found a way to store PayPal credit cards manually, you order the merchandise and 4 weeks later you go to authorizes, and it doesn't authorize properly, what happens then?

The only thing about authorizing besides putting a spending limit to the cardholder is the immediate verification from PayPal that it meets their securities and fraud standards, otherwise they will reject the authorization. In my opinion, better to know this now than four weeks later.

Just for the record, we're leaving PayPal, as I found them to be quite dishonest and all over the place. Cannot believe that I am so happy to get back to Bank of America for my credit card transactions.

If you use Authorize.net and something like Bank of America, credit cards could be stored and not on your system, which decreases your liability.

Food for thought, hope some of this helps.

-Ray