logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lynsperf  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2022 6:16:21 PM(UTC)
Lynsperf

Groups: HelpDesk

I see that the Who's Online feature is available in the Reports section under System.

It would be better to have it on the dashboard and also under People.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

ray22901031  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2022 6:41:03 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
It's under the reporting section because it's just that, a report, and once it's run the data is static unless you run it again. If it was a live component, like Google analysis, that I would see the need to put it under people or someplace else. Also keep in mind that a component that's constantly updating itself to reflect the number of users on your site can slow down your site.

There are many other ways to get this done outside of AbleCommerce, but the bottom line is, It's just a report that displays information that stays static.

Just my opinion,
-Ray

Update: You do know you can manipulate the admin menu structure and move things around by editing some files, if it's that important.

Edited by user Friday, May 6, 2022 6:49:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lynsperf  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2022 6:49:16 PM(UTC)
Lynsperf

I had the active user online feature on my old site. You could toggle it on and off as well as set the refresh rate.
It was a good tool to see where your traffic was coming from and also the ability to block certain ip's that were just troublemakers.

I am new to this type of code, I was using php before.
I'm sure as I follow along I will learn this also.
Lynsperf  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2022 8:38:53 AM(UTC)
Lynsperf

Would also be nice to have a recover cart feature for abandoned carts.
I had this with my old site and it worked very well, allowing me to send an email to the customer alerting them that they hadn't completed the checkout.
It also offered assistance if they had trouble so that I could find out if they had a technical issue with the site.
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2022 1:24:06 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

They do have a recovery feature for abandoned carts; however, I, personally, feel it's not ready for prime time. Since, obviously, you seem to have more experience in this particular area, why don't you look at what they have and make suggestions for a future version.

You will find it under reports > customers > abandoned baskets

Would love to read what you come up with.

-Ray
Lynsperf  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2022 4:34:33 AM(UTC)
Lynsperf

I thought this was the feature request section?

Anyway here is the code example for recover cart sales from oscommerce https://apps.oscommerce....cart-sales-for-osc-2-3-1

And here is the addon for Who's Online https://apps.oscommerce.com/89EjF&whos-online

They are coded in php, but i'm sure someone can make it work with asp.
ray22901031  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2022 11:12:40 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

This is the feature request section, and I was curious if you had any ideas or suggestions on how to improve the abandoned cart's area that currently exist in AbleCommerce?

I think ideas are better suited than code examples.

I, personally, don't like this concept being handled by reports, and prefer for it to have its own specific area that's more interactive, but that's just me. So, do you have some ideas on how to improve this section based on your previous experience with oscommerce?

That was the brunt of the previous question.

Thanks

-Ray
Lynsperf  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 8, 2022 11:27:05 AM(UTC)
Lynsperf

I am not a coder.
I had to learn the basics of php to survive making changes in OSC.

So, I suggest looking over the code I posted links to or even better check out one of the live sites they have listed here https://sites.oscommerce.com/

I would never go back to osc because of the direction they are heading in.
I really like able and plan to suggest it to my clients when they need a storefront.