logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveFeher  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 2:30:08 PM(UTC)
SteveFeher

Groups: Developers, HelpDesk, Registered

Hello all --

First admission -- I've not dabbled in the 9.0.X site very long, so I'm a bit unaccustomed to this new UX. That being said, I've looked through a LOT and still am struggling to find the answer here:

Big Question:
How can I make a more involved web form (more fields than just the "contact us" page allows?
I've made efforts to duplicate the Contact Us widget to no avail and, even if I could duplicate it, I don't see any means to edit/change the fields.

Can 'form building' really be that difficult in what otherwise appears to be an advanced CMS?

Help, please!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Lyonsperf  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2021 4:20:40 PM(UTC)
Lyonsperf

Groups: Registered, HelpDesk

I'm new to this software as well. The support team is very good and can help you create whatever you will need.
I had them redo a custom form for one of my sites, it was included in the quote I got to switch over from Oscommerce.
Here is the link, http://dynamic.giantcommerce.com/Custom-Converter
I would make a ticket to request help on doing it.
shaharyar  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 1:23:36 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi Steve,

Custom form building is not part of our CMS. To add the new form fields you will need to update the view file HTML and controller code accordingly.
SteveFeher  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 10:56:51 AM(UTC)
SteveFeher

Shaharyar --

Is there a complete reference or guide on how the new CMS is supposed to work?
I'm finding that some things are not necessarily functional as I would expect them to be:

EXAMPLE:
I created a new "inner template", but am unable to add content into the Active Content Zone.
Seems to me that I should be able to add material (such as the "cookie consent" or the "Advanced Search" content) into the zone....

See screenshot
Screenshot 2021-10-13 115720.jpg (52kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Edited by user Wednesday, October 13, 2021 10:58:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added screenshot

Joe Payne2  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:13:48 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Steve:

When you build a new inner template, you must also define the layout of that template from the Layout tab. The CMS won't let you drop widgets into the layout if the layout hasn't been defined yet.

Once you have the layout defined, it will work as you expect.

Note that defining the layout takes two steps, not one. In the Layout tab, first you click the desired bootstrap column setup. I nearly always click the + next to the -12 choice.

Once you see the column setup added to the layout, you then have to add a content zone within that bootstrap column. This is done by clicking the little pad/pencil icon in the button bar above the column that just appeared below. The popup dialog will want a zone name - just use 'Main' as the zone name.

Once you add the zone to the layout, you'll see something like: @{RenderZone("Main");} which is exactly what you want to see.

Now click the Save button at the bottom. This updates the UI to know the layout is defined.

Next click the Content tab. Now should you be able to drag-drop widgets onto the layout you specified.

Custom form building isn't what the Able CMS was designed to do. If you want a customized Contact-Us form, you'll still have to create it through programming. Or modifying the existing Contact-Us widget.
SteveFeher  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:53:23 AM(UTC)
SteveFeher

@Joe --
Thanks for your note.
I had previously done all that you mentioned -- to no avail.

I ended up closing the admin editing side, logging out, logging back in, removing the content zone on the "layout" tab, and rebuilding it. Worked that second time.

Still would like to know if there's a guide/resource/tutorial on the CMS. Theme, Page Layouts, Templates, Inner Templates, widgets, etc. are all 'here' but there seems (to me) to be a lot of overlap, lack of clarity about how these work together. Maybe I missed something somewhere?

shaharyar  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:57:48 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
http://help.ablecommerce...ign%2FPage_Templates.htm

Please follow the link. I hope this helps!