logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:23:43 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
We are finding that bots are causing major issues in an Able store with a large catalog i.e. 200,000+ products.

The bots don't persist the session cookie. So every bot page request creates a new Able user record. After a few days, we have millions of records in ac_Users. This slows down the site overall. Able maintenance routines just don't clean up anonymous users fast enough to keep up.

I'm thinking about adding a store setting for bot user agent strings. In WebUserLocator(), I'll check the request user agent against the bot list. If it's a bot match, I will locate an existing ac_Users record reserved just for bots, instead of creating a new user.

Do you foresee any problems with that implementation? I've never worked that low in the application before so I am unsure if I would be impacting other areas.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

judy at Web2Market  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 6:04:44 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I would be interested in this also. I see that AC9 still has the code for the BOT_USER_GUID but we found that in Gold sites this didn't always work.
mazhar  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 8:58:07 AM(UTC)
mazhar

Groups: Admin, Administrators, HelpDesk, System, Authorized User, Developers, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
If BOT doesn't have cookie support they must be handled through a shared user instance. I wonder if bots in your case do support cookies but throw it away after few requests. If you are certain about user agents then I think what are you suggesting with User Locater may work.
Joe Payne2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 10:48:13 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Everything I've seen so far in IIS logs shows both the bing bot and google bot do not keep the cookie between requests. From what I have found online, others say the same thing.

mazhar  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 11:33:06 AM(UTC)
mazhar

Groups: Admin, Administrators, HelpDesk, System, Authorized User, Developers, Registered

Which version of AbleCommerce is used on this store?
Joe Payne2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 11:43:01 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Gold R12 SR2
Joe Payne2  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 6:31:32 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

So we took the bot code from Gold R12 and merged it back into WebUserLocator() in the Gold R10 install. The result was a huge improvement. We're no longer seeing massive growth in user records ( +250,000/day ) and maintenance routines are able to keep up once more.

Big relief seeing this issue put to bed once and for all. It's been a huge hassle keeping the db clean.
mazhar  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 9:58:17 AM(UTC)
mazhar

Perhaps the version number you mentioned earlier was mistaken for some other install. If it was R12 install it would already have the bot protection, glad that you were able to handle it using code from R12.
Joe Payne2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 10:06:47 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Yikes, you're right I did mention the wrong version. My apologies!

Ugh I need a vacation.