logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dennis3396677  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2021 10:39:13 PM(UTC)
dennis3396677

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

I would like to know how to change the menu text. I have found the functionality of the "Browse Store" link to not be very useful when viewing via the mobile menu since it can only display 6 categories (we have a LOT more than that) and the "Product Finder" to be more what we need. So, I would like to change "Browse Store" to say "Categories" (or remove it all together) and change "Product Finder" to say "Browse Store". What file(s) do I need to make these changes in please?

Thanks in advance!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

ray22901031  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 12:30:55 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I believe you are referring to bypassing the automatic menu and create a manual one, is this what you're referring to?
dennis3396677  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 12:38:17 PM(UTC)
dennis3396677

Well, not exactly, Ray. Here are the particulars. So, I am currently using the Store Menu Light widget to display a menu on my website. This menu contains the following menu options: Home, Browse Store, Product Finder, Contact Us, Cart (icon) & Search (icon). The Browse Store menu item is limited to only showing 6 categories max. The Product Finder menu option, when clicked, shows all categories on a left sidebar, which is more useful especially when viewing on a mobile device. So, the only thing I am trying to change is the text that shows in the menu for the Browse Store & Product Finder menu options. It should be easy enough. I did find one file that shows this text:

\Areas\Install\Content\LangResources.csv

which contains:

"retail.storemenulight.product_finder","Product Finder"

but when I changed the text and reloaded the site it does not appear to do anything.

So, just looking for a little direction on how I can change this text on the menu.

Other references I found for this text:

"Product Finder"
2 matches in \Controllers\CategoryController.cs
979 [RegisterWidget(DisplayName = "Product Finder", Category = WidgetCategory.Sidebar, Description = "Used with the search results widget, the product finder allows a user to filter by category, brand, keyword, or custom attributes.")]
1 match in \Controllers\ProductController.cs
234 [RegisterWidget(DisplayName = "Search Products", Category = WidgetCategory.General, Description = "Works with the product finder while displaying results from a user’s filtered choices.")]
2 matches in \Models\CategoryModels.cs
253 [DefaultValue("Product Finder")]
259 Caption = "Product Finder";
2 matches in \Models\WebpageModels.cs
85 [DisplayName("Show Product Finder Link")]
87 [Description("Indicates whether to display the Product Finder menu link.")]
ray22901031  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:05:00 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

The file you are looking for is "_StoreMenuLight.cshtml"

Should be under "Site\Themes\Your-Theme\Views\Shared\"

DO NOT EDIT THE ONE UNDER SAMPLE, move it to your theme dir and edit there.

-Ray

Edited by user Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:05:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dennis3396677  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:38:47 PM(UTC)
dennis3396677

Thanks Ray! However, \Views\Shared resides under the root of the site and not the Theme directory.

I was still able to change the text successfully and it is now displaying how I want!

I changed:

<a href="#" class="dropdown-toggle" data-toggle="dropdown" data-hover="dropdown" data-delay="300" data-close-others="true">@GetResourceString("retail.storemenulight.browse_store")</a>

to:

<a href="#" class="dropdown-toggle" data-toggle="dropdown" data-hover="dropdown" data-delay="300" data-close-others="true">Categories</a>

AND

<li class="hidden-sm"><a href="@Url.Content("~/Search")" class="tab"><i class="finder"></i>@GetResourceString("retail.storemenulight.product_finder")</a></li>

to:

<li class="hidden-sm"><a href="@Url.Content("~/Search")" class="tab"><i class="finder"></i>Browse Store</a></li>

I of course made a backup copy of the original file.

Thanks again so much for your awesome help, Ray! I really appreciate it!
ray22901031  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 2:13:54 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

The entire menu selection for that particular header is a partial view. To be compliant with MVC standards, you will need to mimic the directory structure under your theme, all the information for the menu structure is within this view file.

If you were to start changing it in other places, it will break when you do an upgrade. I have completely, on my site which is still in production, went from a automatic menu, which I hate because of the limitations, to a complete manual Mega Menu with no sub drop downs.

Our site was designed that if the user needs another Mega-Menu that's geared more directly to the product or group of products that they're looking for, we have created a contact page for that purpose. In fact we have four different contact pages acting like Mega Menus, each one has a drop-down on the upper right so the user is always two clicks from what they're looking for.

I hate drop downs upon drop downs upon drop downs, which is the default in Ablecommerce, but that's just my opinion.

Having a manual menu gives me more control.

-Ray

Menu-2.jpg (783kb) downloaded 9 time(s). Menu-1.jpg (1,141kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Edited by user Sunday, April 18, 2021 2:20:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shaharyartiwana25816656  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 7:10:39 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

Did you give it a try to ablecommerce inline store editing?

Please see the video using this link.
Video
dennis3396677  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 11:30:48 AM(UTC)
dennis3396677

Well now, how easy is that? Much better than digging around in the code! Call me old school, I guess! This "inline store editing" worked great! Thank you!