logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
speedythinker1832579  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 4:33:36 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

I tried to use the "Contact us form" for taking messages from the public but found that the system couldn't forward those messages to a designated email account "Store email account" under the Admin page. I could receive messages for a couple of days after using new email accounts. However, it all stopped working after a few days later. So far, I've switched three different email accounts and still not have luck. I'm thinking that it could be a spam issue, so I created a 'Gmail' account to give it a try. No luck!! FYI, I have no trouble sending or receiving emails from those email accounts that I used on the forms. It just that it didn't work for the Contact Form.

Marco

Edited by user Saturday, July 25, 2020 1:38:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

speedythinker1832579  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2020 1:32:22 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Here is what I was told from my hosting provider:

Hi Marco,

We are still working on the code changes related to this issue. It's a bug (bad implementation ) on the AbleCommerce side. The ContactUs form
uses senders email address as a default address for sending the merchant part of the email. For instance, if the message is submitted from devel@drundo.com
AbleCommerce uses devel@drundo.com as From email address. This is causing issues with all SMTP providers (including your previous provider TurboSMTP)
and messages don't get delivered.

We will make the required code changes and provide an update to this ticket.

Best Regards,
Dimi Goranov - Client Services
Naveed Ashraf  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 11:36:46 PM(UTC)
Naveed Ashraf

Groups: Admin, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Quote:
The ContactUs form uses senders email address as a default address for sending the merchant part of the email. For instance, if the message is submitted from devel@drundo.com
AbleCommerce uses devel@drundo.com as From email address.

Yes, he is right, the contact us form implementation uses the sender email address, as "From" email address. So, it sends email on behalf of the sender. I think your SMPT server do not allow this, and emails are failing.

You can easily change this, please follow these steps:

1. Open ~/Controllers/WebpageController.cs file.
2. Go to line # 650 (its inside the ContactUs() POST action method) and look for the code:

Code:
mailMessage.From = new System.Net.Mail.MailAddress(model.Email);

3. and change it to use the store default email address as sender:

Code:
mailMessage.From = new System.Net.Mail.MailAddress(settings.DefaultEmailAddress);

OR change it to use a custom email by replacing model.Email with your own email address:

Code:
mailMessage.From = new System.Net.Mail.MailAddress("MYEMAIL@PROVIDER.COM");

3. Save, and you are done.

Thanks,
Thanks for your support!
Naveed Ashraf
Ablecommerce.com
Developer Assistance Available
thanks 1 user thanked Naveed Ashraf for this useful post.
IDAutomation on 11/19/2020(UTC)
Joe Payne2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:49:26 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'm confused. If the SMTP settings in the store have the same login email account as the store's default email address, why would any mail server kick out the message? The message is being authenticated as the same user as the from address. There shouldn't be an issue at that point.

I could see this happening easily if the SMTP authentication was using one email account, but the store default email address is a different. Many email providers don't like that as it is a common tactic of spammers. But that doesn't seem to be the case here, or did I miss something?
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:12:57 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If I read this correctly, I can see the problem that Marco is having. If the storefront smtp email setting is set to something like "smtp.mail.outgoing@mail.com", but it actually uses the "FROM" value coming from the contact form, depending on the settings of the SMTP server and whatever validation they are using, the SMTP server could think that the emails are being sent from two different people, especially if the system uses MX reverse lookup as a means of trying to reduce spam.

In other words, if I read the post correctly, one email is sent from "user-1@abc.com and email #2 is sent from "user-2@def.com" and email #3 is sent from "user-3@ghi.com. STMP SECURITY SPAM PROTOCOLS are usually triggered by the amount of email being sent in a given time-frame. So let's say that three emails go out within 5 minutes, the system triggers a MX reverse lookup after the third email, the first three emails will go out, but the fourth and anything after that would be stopped. There's usually a reset after some time and the entire process repeats.

Again I don't have the settings in front of me, but this could explain why a few of the emails would go out and then after some time others would be blocked.

I no longer host my exchange server in-house, but when I did, it was a total nightmare having to deal with specific ports that needed to be open for reverse lookups, ports using your "A" DNS records had to be correct, you had to make sure that everything was just right and even then, some customers would complain that their emails were not being received while others had no problems.

I think the bottom line is that the "contact form" should have a constant "FROM" value, not one that's fluctuates depending on whatever a user determines. Now that of course is If I am reading it correctly. Either way I hope the code changes fixes his problem.

Best wishes,
-Ray

Edited by user Tuesday, July 28, 2020 3:23:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified